Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Then and Now

The journey from crabby student to happy teacher took decades, and was guided by a sense of destiny and sheer determination.  I had great role models along the way; educators that showed me what I wanted to be when I grew up – and those that showed me what I must never become. As a small but observant student in primary grades I studied my teachers, my fellow classmates and the climate and culture of each class I attended. A puny social scientist gathering data: What is working here? What would I change? As previously stated, I found the décor lacking and unimaginative. I knew there needed to be more color, art, light and beauty in the room. I believed music played softly would set a better mood. I sketched plans for a more relaxed seating/working arrangement and designed layouts for art and theater centers. This was a lot of work for a kid (and goes a long way toward explaining why I never knew what page we were on in math).
In the classes I teach today, there are area rugs, plants, paintings and baskets. Classical music greets students as they enter in the morning. Snacks are provided, as are stickers, prizes, gifts and picture books. Games are played daily. Costumes are devised and theater is staged. New activities are started every 20 - 30 minutes so there is no sense of purgatory in a desk. As the teacher, I encourage, direct, and correct as I move around the room constantly. Time is spent outside, as well, reading under trees or taking walks around campus. Fieldtrips are planned monthly. Art is part of the curriculum. And fun and laughter is encouraged, always. I teach in the classroom atmosphere I craved as a student all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment