Friday, May 25, 2012

Making the Grade

Grades are relative and subjective. Yes, it is black and white that 2 + 2 = 4, but grades are based on so many factors - or I believe they should be.

I am a special education teacher. My students range in age from 10 to 13. The 4th, 5th and 6th graders have reading ranges from above grade level to pre-kindergarten. How can I accurately grade their reading fluency, decoding or comprehension? It doesn't make sense to have a one-size-fits-all text, because each individual student is at a markedly different level of ability.

In the majority of districts I have worked with, the curriculum is purchased for instruction of mandated grade level standards. The language arts, math, social studies and science texts cover specific targeted content. * The reading levels and interest levels are marketed and developed for a homogenous grouping of learners, though who these learners are remains a mystery. Fact is, text books are big business, and that business is to ‘sell’ success on standardized tests across the U.S. *http://www.teachersmind.com/Textbooks.html

Presented with materials they can't access can be debilitating to struggling learners. Modifying and individualizing the curriculum is a task that presents itself daily. I will go into some detail on how I have adapted lessons over the years, starting with spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment