Saturday, May 12, 2012

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

It’s off to work I go!
I am numbered in the lucky count of those who WANT to go to work on Monday's. I like my job, I look forward to each day, I am glad to go. Teaching is more than a career for me; teaching is my calling. When I was a wee spry, I would gather up my dolls for make-believe time. I didn't play house - I played school. The dolls were the students, and I was their teacher. Sometimes the family pets got to be in my class, as well. I read to them and guided them and sometimes even scolded them (as cats were particularly poor at staying put and attending lessons).
The old yarn stating the three best things about teaching are June, July and August doesn’t hold for me. The yawn of a summer break makes me feel jumpy and unmoored. I typically tutor or teach summer school, rather than take a break. Being in the company of children is what I crave, and when I am not teaching, I find ways to volunteer or get involved with kid activities. I have assisted with programs for the American Cancer Society, Audubon Society, Project Wild, Y.M.C.A., numerous museums and public park organizations to develop and present educational activities. I became a facilitator at a Ropes Course (in my 40’s!), and a docent at wilderness projects. Every year I undertake a different training program so I can add to my knowledge and broaden my instructional horizons. This is key to maintaining my zest for career – being a perpetual learner and a dedicated student helps me be a better and more enthusiastic teacher.
                                                                  
Education is the foundation of a free and fulfilled life.” UNICEF, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment