Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pretty Is As Pretty Does.

It costs hundreds of dollars – out of pocket – to decorate and maintain my classroom every year. I believe it’s a sound investment. My classroom is cleaner, more decorative and better appointed than the majority of homes my students live in. I know this to be true because the schools I teach at usually participate in Home Visit Programs. These H.V. programs support staff attempts to meet with families in their home at least once a year. This is a great way for teachers to forge a deeper social connection with their student’s families. For some parents who might have transportation or mobility issues, it’s the ONLY way to connect and meet in person. Going on a Home Visit is a great way to experience family dynamics and to create a bond with the family. It also allows me to state with assurance that my classroom most often exceeds the home in presenting an attractive, temperate and safe environment.
This matters: the students need to feel supported, honored and secure. A classroom that is clutter-free, spacious, comfortable and well-appointed lets the learner know this is our special space, our home for learning, our nurturing nest. And it works. I have the anecdotal records and staff input to support my belief that class room environment dictates student behavior and attitudes. I say, “Happy classrooms beget happy students.”
 “Just as it’s important to define our beliefs and align our practices, it’s important to create classroom environments that reflect our beliefs.” http://blog.stenhouse.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment