Friday, June 29, 2012

Work Smarter, Not Harder.

Work Smarter, Not Harder

I did my time. I carted home bags and boxes of reports to read. I covered my dining table with papers to grade. I spent my lunch breaks marking homework pages. I cancelled plans on Sundays so I could prep for the upcoming week in class.

One afternoon my daughter came by to tell me about her pay raise at the job she had for a fast food chain. She asked me how much money I made per hour. I had never tried to compute that before, so I sat down and took an honest look at how many hours I was not only AT school (including staff trainings, bus duties, open houses, IEP meetings, etc.), but also all the hours I spent AWAY from campus doing school work. I did the math - and discovered my young high school grad assistant manager girl was earning MORE PER HOUR than I was!!

Well, things changed. Of course I kept the meetings, duties, training and after-school events. But after that eye-opening calculator total glowed in my vision, I no longer took work home. I kept my job at my job. That meant going into work half an hour earlier, and staying a couple hours later - but it freed my nights and weekends. I became more organized, more focused. I was a better planner and a quicker executer of plans. I didn't delay or procrastinate (as much). And I was happier, more relaxed, and sane.

Try it. It is freeing, and I promise, the students will not suffer for it. A balanced teacher is a good teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment