Monday, June 11, 2012

Here's Looking At You, Kid.

During the first week of school I have the students create a number of art projects and renderings. One of the first tasks is a portrait of a neighbor. I pair up the students with someone they don't know, when possible. I give each student a pen (no pencils - they spend too much time erasing), and some crayons. I demonstrate the sketch on the white board, drawing an oval (no Charlie Brown heads!) and dividing that in quadrants to show placement of features. I talk them through a rough drawing, and then give them time to color and add details. These 'buddy portraits are a great ice breaker, in and of themselves, but I follow it up with a 'carpet time' talk, giving each student an opportunity to show off their work and introduce their 'subject'. We keep the portraits posted until our first Open House. A very fun activity, with benefits of connecting with and accepting peers for the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment