Monday, June 11, 2012

D.E.A.R.

Drop Everything And Read.

D.E.A.R. stands for Drop Everything and Read. National D.E.A.R. Day is a special reading celebration to remind and encourage families to make reading together on a daily basis a family priority. Harper Collins Publishing helps sponsor this event every April, in conjunction with Beverly Cleary’s birthday. Check it out:

http://dropeverythingandread.com/NationalDEARday.html

In my class, I schedule DEAR time a couple of days every week. The students are provided ability level books from the school or public library. I also purchase books at the Scholastic warehouse, usually in pairs so they can have a reading buddy. For 15 or 20 minutes, the class gets to grab some pillows, stretch out on the floor, and read semi-silently for FUN! While I attempt to keep a log of books and page counts, I don't require book reports. I learned over time reporting squashes the pleasure of reading for my class. And I want reading to be a positive, relaxing and entertaining time!

No comments:

Post a Comment