Saturday, September 22, 2012

First Day Jitters

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg is a delightful children's book. I start out each school year with this read-aloud story, no matter what grade I teach. It reminds students of all ages that they are NOT the only one to be nervous about starting school. Whether it's a new class or a whole new school, EVERYONE is likely to feel fear, dread, trepidation - and to get a case of the 'jitters'.

My dad had reoccurring nightmares, even into his 70's, about arriving on campus confused as to where his classes were, stumped by locker combos, and hopelessly underdressed (as in no pants!). To the best of my knowledge these were real memories (with the exception of sans-pants) replayed over and over again due to their intense nature. Horrid to think we can be so scarred by something as common place as 'School: Day One'. But there you have it. I imagine that all of us have similar recollections of stresses and struggles assimilating to a new campus, teacher, grade or classroom.

How to alleviate such nerve-wracking emotions at the beginning of the year has been a goal of mine since I began teaching. When I read Julie Danneberg's story to the class they are reminded that even teachers are nervous on the first day. It's a natural feeling, and it can be quickly calmed.

I meet the kids at the bus drop off on Day One. I put a big sign around my neck with my name on it. I go to the cafeteria, too, and hang out while they eat and mingle. I take everyone on a tour of the campus that morning, and we play a scavenger hunt game in the class to familiarize ourselves with the lay-out. We do a myriad of ice-breakers. Also, as soon as possible during the first week, we meet with our 'Little Buddy' class, so my intermediate aged students become mentors to early ed. students. Nothing seems to bring more empowerment to the 4th - 6th graders than being a Big Buddy to a little first grade student. My students help the younger kids at lunch and recess. They love being responsible and respected!

My goal on Day One is to have each child be able to report back to parents, when asked "How was school today, this quote:  "Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”  Dr. Suess

No comments:

Post a Comment