Thursday, July 12, 2012

Make 'em Laugh!

I love humor. I enjoy silliness. I need laughter - especially at work. I know teaching is serious business. But geez, it helps me AND the students to employ some fun throughout the day!

Things that are fun and funny in my classroom include: Groucho glasses w/ moustaches, red clown noses, tiaras and crowns, Sponge Bob cartoons, you tube animal videos, Garfield and Peanuts comics, Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants books, games (Twister is a favorite), hula hoops, squeaky pet toys, whistles, magic wands, and dance music. I try to tap into these supplies on a daily basis. It relieves pressure, re-energizes spirit and lifts moods.


Some of the best times to interject humor are during the stress times. Testing is tough for any student, and in special ed., even tougher. It helps to ease the classroom climate when the children can take a stretch break, grab a comic book, crash on some pillows, snack and giggle. Everybody feels better. I find this prevents many outbursts and melt-downs during standardized testing weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment