Friday, April 27, 2012

Books in a Box




I was already a successful reader when I started school, so it came as no surprise that reading was my favorite subject. I especially liked our Books in a Box, provided by SRA Reading Laboratories  (Don H. Parker). These leveled materials allowed me to race through reading time, moving up the colored, labeled levels of ability. Not great literature, true - but a good way to gain independent progress. Titles such as MR. ZIP AND THE U.S. MAIL, POLICEMAN PAUL and TEXAS PETE: LITTLE COWBOY might not have been the types of books I would normally seek out on my own, but the stories were quick and light, like Jello for my brain. I would have been happy to read in class all day long. Forget P.E., recess or math. Math I didn't care for at all, unless it was used to add up all my reading scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment